Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Week 20: Happy New Year!

Hey everyone!

Happy New Year!!! 2015 is gonna be a great one! Hope everyone will be able to get back into school and work easily enough!

Anyways things are going well enough down here even though it was a little crazy for New Years...but fortunately it was pretty quiet in Hialeah, especially compared to the experiences I've heard from missionaries in other areas! But ya New Years was pretty relaxed, we worked New Year's Eve until 7:00 at night and then we worked all day New Years as well. Muchos fueron borrachos despues del ano nuevo. Hopefully someone will help you translate that (looking at you Brother Hinckley ;) Nothing too crazy happened New Years although we did have someone offer us a hit on their weed New Year's Day. That was interesting to say the least but so it goes in Miami I suppose haha...XD Basically I'm just super happy that the holidays are over so that people will actually be available!

I'll be honest though it was a bit of a discouraging week for me to have put in so much work and see so few fruits. I was a little down for awhile but then I read Alma 26 that talks about how Ammon and his brethren endured all sorts of hardships in the hopes of "saving some soul". But then as they look back on their efforts they find that the fruits of their labors are much larger than just one soul. And I know that the same is true for us as missionaries today! We labor in the hopes of saving some soul and then look back and realize how much more we accomplished. So even though it was a rough week, I know I'm doing the right thing and that if Elder Swensen and I seek him then he will lead us to the people that he has prepared!

Despite the difficult week, we definitely still saw miracles. The coolest was that Saturday we prayed about our harvest spot and felt we needed to return to an area we had been in the day before. So we went there to harvest and found Otto! Otto had had contact with the missionaries before and apparently loves to read, so they left him with a bunch of materials. Well, Otto knew a lot about the church and even knew about the Mormon Tabernacle Choir! He was super excited to see us and we are going to go back to see him today! So that is pretty exciting to say the least! We also have another family that was busy during the holidays that we are going to teach again tonight, so that should be cool! Things are already getting better!

Anyways--enough seriousness, time for some stories! Let's just say we knocked A LOT of doors this week and as a result we have some pretty funny stories. For example, we knocked on this one lady's door and then she opened the door and screamed out of terror when she saw us. Elder Swensen and I had to try super hard not to bust up laughing. Turns out she hadn't heard the door and was just taking out trash and then opened up the door and saw us and she was legimately scared out of surprise. I felt bad but it was honestly super funny...:) What else..Oh ya, we met this older lady who asked who we were, then when she recognized which church we were from, asked us for a card and traded us a card for some Jehovah's Witness literature. But hey at least she took the card and that literature won't end up with someone else right? That's what I figured anyways! And she didn't even try to Bible Bash us. That was a surprise! Anyways it's always an adventure down here in Latin Florida but at the end of the day I really do love it. It's hard sometimes as expected but I can't imagine myself anywhere else than here. People need the happiness that only the Gospel brings and that's why I'm here--to help them be happy and help them to enter into the Celestial Kingdom with their families. So that's what I'm here to do!

Anyways I love all of you and wish all of you a happy new year!!
Love,
Elder Butterfield
e'rytime

No comments:

Post a Comment