Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Week 32: Funny stories.....

Hey Everyone!

Well, it's been quite the week this last week! It was a bit of a faith testing week, but it also had its good moments and just plain hilarious moments as wellXD

Where to start... I guess we'll get the bad news over first. So we had specialized training last week for the Church's new initiative #BecauseHeLives (which you should check out and share over at helives.mormon.org :) and I was able to talk to my old companion Elder Swensen about how everything in Doral was going, but it wasn't good news. Apparently, Albert got accused of stealing money so they don't know what's going on with him, but the news that hurt most was about the Morales family. Apparently after 4 weeks straight of the whole family coming to church together, they're now getting divorced....so as you can imagine Wednesday was a bit of a rough day. But it's ok; stuff like this happens and there's no point in focusing on things that I can't change, so I just did my best to suck it up and keep working. The good news is that Rebeca is still doing great, so no complaints there!

Anyways with the bad news out of the way, that leaves room for some pretty funny stories that happened this last week. So Thursday we went to go visit a less active recent convert in the area and we read out of the Book of Ether in the Book of Mormon, specifically about the story of the Brother of Jared. Well I was trying to recap the story of what happened and how Jesus touched the rocks to make them give light. So I said,"Jesus touched the rocks to give the Jaredites light in the ships." Well I said dar luz because dar is the verb "to give" and luz is "light", so it made sense to me to explain it that way right? WRONG! Apparently dar luz is an expression in Spanish that means "to give birth". So I said that Jesus touched the rocks to give birth hahahahahaha XD Fortunately, my companion corrected the confusion, but I didn't find out what happened until later on. I got a pretty good kick out of that gringo mistake though:)

But wait, that's not even the best story of the week! So here in the mission, part of a district leader's assignment is to give short companion studies (trainings) to the sister companionships in the district. Elder Dinkins is the district leader here, so he had to give one of these comp studies on Friday to the sisters. Well everything goes fine and normal until the end when he asks them if they have any questions, or if there's anything he can do to help them. Well one of the sisters says she has a question that came up in her scripture studies yesterday. So she asks him, "What's circumcision?" Bahahahahahahaha!  It was one of the funniest things I've ever heard and it took every ounce of willpower in my body to not bust up laughing at that moment, I have to say. Needless to say we didn't really answer the question directly and told her to email her parents about it, but I couldn't stop laughing about it the rest of the day :) One of many funny sister missionary stories I'm sure;)

As for actual missionary work down here, things are going a bit slow, but Elder Dinkins and I are working hard to find investigators both through sharing prayers with people and working through the members. Rebeca is still doing wonderful and fasted yesterday, but unfortunately her family didn't make it to church because her mom was in the hospital. That stuff happens though, not much we can do there except pray. Rebeca's daughters are starting to open up a little more which is good, but Rebeca's husband isn't ready just yet. We invited him to be baptized, and he explained to us that he's busy with his PhD right now and just isn't ready. But I'm sure he will be baptized at some point in the future, so we just keep praying! But ya, other than the Polo family, not too much going on just yet. We are still on the hunt for more investigators; hopefully the harvest is big this week!

That's about it for this week though, I hope you all have a wonderful week!

Love,
Elder Butterfield
e'rytime

PS: I
pads are probably coming soon. People from SLC are coming down this week to the mission leader conference, and our email site was changed up a bit, so it looks they're preparing for Ipads, but probably not for another month or so. Who knows!

Specialized Training Meeting March 2015


No comments:

Post a Comment