Monday, September 14, 2015

Week 56: Miracles Come After the Trial of Faith

Hey Everyone!

Well, this week was pretty brutal to be honest....but as the subject of my email says "miracles come after the trial of our faith!" So Wednesday we had lunch with the former Stake President of the Stuart Stake and his wife and they're awesome! They had a missionary come home about a month ago and are just super solid. The awesome thing about the visit was that they have someone they're working with who is more comfortable speaking Spanish come to church with them a few weeks ago when their son came home, and she wants to come again! So they gave her a Book of Mormon last Friday, and I'm hoping we get to teach her soon this month!

Unfortunately, Thursday we got a phone call from Monty telling us that Donna doesn't want anything to do with the church anymore.....which is literally exactly what happened before with Emmanuel. Now from the members that have helped us with them, it sounds like it's more marriage problems than the church, but it was just such a devastating phone call. It's really frustrating to see the light of Christ work in people, but then they give up on the Spirit so soon after their baptism. I mean I knew there was a bit of risk involved considering how rapidly they decided to get married, but Donna was saying and doing all of the right things... really hard stuff. It was so hard to keep working after that phone call, but I knew that Satan was the one who wanted us to stop working and so we took a deep breath and decided to work our butts off.

One of the other district leaders got sick Thursday, so I actually ended the night by doing a baptismal interview for them which was cool! And then we slept over at their house since myself and the zone leaders were going to MLC Friday morning. (Normally only zone leaders go, but this time the district leaders were invited!) Since we had MLC Friday morning, and I'm all the way up in the North, and we had to pick up another district leader, it was like a 3 hour drive to Fort Laud. And then a 3 hour drive back. I drove for 6 hours Friday; it was awful!!! But the meeting was really cool and the stuff they talked about is definitely what our mission needs. So I'm excited to see the mission move forward with it! Didn't get to proselyte much Friday since we got back to our area at 6:00 PM, but oh well, what do you do.

Saturday we actually had a really cool miracle though! As per the usual in this area, literally everything dropped/fell through Saturday, but we had an appointment with a potential at 8:00 so went over there to check it out. Well Fabian didn't have much time, but we taught him a basic restoration, and as we taught him, somehow he knew the year 1820, which I thought was weird, but just figured he saw it in the pamphlet. Well after sharing the first vision, I asked him if he believed it was true. He said, "I know it's true!" So naturally my jaw drops to the floor, and I ask how he knows it's true. He replies, " A missionary taught me this 10 years ago." Whaaaaaat? Unfortunately we didn't get to ask him much about it because we didn't have much time, but the Spirit was so strong, I looked over at Elder Angulo and he invited him to be baptized and he accepted!! So awesome. God truly does prepare his elect and I'm so grateful for that!

That's pretty much the highlight for the week so I'll leave it there:) Oh also, Brother Pearson got called as the assistant ward mission leader and he is AWESOME! He's taking the mindset of how we can help the ward do missionary work, and he wants to help us fill our day with teaching appointments and coordinate fellowshippers. Super excited to be able to work with him!

Well that's it for this week; it was a hard one to be sure but there's always the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes we just have to look up to see it:)

Love,
Elder Butterfield

PS: A scripture that I loved when I read it, Moroni 8:16
16 Wo be unto them that shall pervert the ways of the Lord after this manner, for they shall perish except they repent. Behold, I speak with boldness, having aauthority from God; and I fear not what man can do; for bperfect clove dcasteth out all fear.

Mission Leader Conference

















No comments:

Post a Comment