Monday, October 19, 2015

Week 61: Loving Riverside Park South!

Hey Everyone!

Well, the news that you've all been dying for....

My new area is Riverside Park South!!!! Where the heck is that you might ask? Well it's the Spanish branch right smack in the heart of Fort Lauderdale. I'm so glad to be back in an urban city chock full of people. I forgot how much I missed it in Jupiter until I got on the streets here in Fort Lauderdale. Best thing about being in the branch of Riverside Park? Well the branch is freaking on fire; our ward mission leader is a trooper! He sets up appointments for us and will even go knocking doors with us for hours. You don't find many that are able or willing to do that!

So the story with this branch is that it actually got shut down when they divided the stakes a year and a half ago, but a lot of the Spanish speaking members started to go less active since the closest Spanish church unit was really far away. So they submitted a request to reopen it to the First Presidency, and they did so back in March. They started out with 60 members in attendance at Sacrament Meeting and have already doubled their numbers through rescuing and baptisms to 120. This place seriously is the promised land. The leaders are all on board and super helpful. It's all just awesome. Not to mention it's like back in Hialeah where we have member food appointments every single day:D So honestly I couldn't be happier with my new area. This is seriously the place to be!

It's weird though because we share an area with the AP's. They cover English, two Elders in my district that we live with cover Haitian Creole, and then my comp and I cover all of the Spanish in the area. I guess the only bad thing is that we don't have a car here, but it's not really necessary and I prefer biking anyways. When you have a car, you have to wash and vacuum it every P Day and that sucks. Bikes are much less work and much more productive in terms of finding new investigators:)

Anyways I'm sure you're all wondering about my new comp. His name is Elder Mejia, but don't let the Spanish name fool you; he speaks about as much Spanish as I did when I started my mission. So I'll be helping him a lot with that. Poor guy's dad is from El Salvador and his mom from Mexico, but they never taught him Spanish...guess he'll learn here! Seems like a nice enough guy, definitely a lot different than Elder Angulo though. We'll see how things go!

That's pretty much it for the new area and transfers and stuff. I love the members here, and they love the missionaries and are doing great things. Now I've just got to get my butt to work and bring some people to church!

I forgot to mention something--my six months of studying Spanish in an English area plus talking to Elder Angulo paid off. The members here have all been impressed with my Spanish and say that I'm already Latino. So that's been kind of cool to see. I pretty much know how Elder Lamb felt when he was training me in Hialeah I suppose:)

Also for all those interested, here is my new home address!

Elder McKay Butterfield
3900 W Broward Blvd #302
Plantation, FL 33312

Love you all and hope that you have a great week!
Elder Butterfield
e'rytime

P.S. Elder Angulo baptized last weekend. That's my son! He sniped the Sisters baptism since they combined Jupiter into one area. That is one big area!!

Elder Butterfield and Elder Mejia

No comments:

Post a Comment