Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Week 62: The Emergency Transfer!!! (No, not McKay.)

Hey Everyone!

So this last week was a pretty freaking crazy one to be honest. So much stuff went down, but I'll go in order to give you the most realistic representation of my experiences...!

So last Monday night, Elder Mejia and I got a bit lost in our area because we had a bad address. But no biggie, he was still behind me. Sure he was biking a little slow, but I was checking on him to make sure he didn't get too far behind. Well, we're finally headed in the right direction, but it's 7:30 and it was getting dark. We cross a street at a stop light and he's right behind me. Next thing I know I'm coming up on the member's apartment complex that we were going to. I look back and he's nowhere to be found. So I backtrack a bit to where I last saw him. Nothing. I circle around a bit and still nothing. So at this point with him being brand new and having no clue what happened, I had to call President Richardson. He calls the AP's to come help, he's on his way, and then I called our ward mission leader to come help look for him as well. So freaking scary and just not good. Well finally about 10 minutes after all this had happened I get a call from a number I don't know, and sure enough it was Elder Mejia. I found him right down the street from me, but to this day, I'm still super confused how he got lost and what happened...So that was Monday night.

Tuesday was a pretty average day, nothing too crazy.

Wednesday was district training, and then I got to conduct my first ever exchange as a district leader and it was awesome! I brought Elder Hansen, one of the other Spanish elders into my area and we had a killer day! We found cool potentials left and right, taught some awesome restoration lessons, and just had a really good day. The coolest event of the day was when we walked up to a lady and her mother sitting outside of their house. They offered us a Sprite and before you know it we were teaching the Restoration. At the end, Evi, the grown up daughter told us crying that she already knew the Restoration was true!

Well that brings us to Thursday, so here goes more craziness. Well, first off, Thursday morning I get a text from President Richardson saying he wants me and my companion to come to the mission office (we live 5 miles away from it) to talk with him at 1:00. I was kind of freaking out about that because I thought we were both gonna get chewed out! Then an hour after that, Elder Mejia's aunt and uncle show up at our door and want to talk to him. I was so shocked that I didn't even know what to say for a minute. I then tried to kindly explain to them that that's against the rules and can't happen. Fortunately, we were on exchanges and he was in another missionary apartment at the moment! So then I called President and informed him about that, which made him even more concerned.

Anyways, we go over to see President Richardson, and he just ripped into my companion about everything that had happened. I made it out unscathed, which was good, but at the end of the "interview" he decided to send Elder Mejia to an English ward with a Spanish trainer where he could participate more. This was a surprise to me, but also a relief since I was pretty much doing all of the contacting/teaching.

Later on Thursday, we were going to see Evi again, but about an hour before she calls us and tell us she's gay and knows that we have differing beliefs. Thursday was a bit of a roller coaster to say the least.

Friday wasn't much of an exciting day. Pretty much everything fell through. Then Saturday came and was another ridiculous day. The emergency transfer went down Saturday, so Elder Mejia went up to the northernmost part of the mission with Elder Holloway. Didn't see that one coming to be honest! So then I was with one of the AP's for the day and had to go do three baptismal interviews for three kids they were baptizing. Then we knocked doors for a bit, and I had to help him set up the church for the baptism because the other AP's were still traveling back with my new comp. By the way, his name is Elder Mears! Picture incoming. After all this, the branch had their cultural celebration at 6:00, so my new comp and I spent the rest of our time there!

One last really awesome miracle. So Saturday night came, and we really didn't have any investigators solidly committed to church. Well, lo and behold, some member referrals who came to the baptism in the branch a week ago came to the party and just talked about how much they loved the atmosphere in the church and that they were coming to church tomorrow! Woohooo! Side note, these people were taught by Elder Mejia and Elder Willhite the first Thursday night in the area because we had to do a crazy exchange to get some baptismal interviews done.

The good news is they showed up to church the next day and loved the Primary program! Then we invited them to be baptized after Sacrament Meeting, and they accepted! They told us they had already made their decision, that they loved the church and wanted to be a part of it. Talk about prepared, and talk about miracles! After church we set up an appointment to visit them in their house at 7:30 and called their member friend to go with us! Their names are Claudia and Amilcar by the way.

That lesson with them was one of the most spiritual of my whole mission! We taught the Plan of Salvation up to the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and then I felt prompted to bring up baptism and remission of sins. It didn't make a whole lot of sense, but I went with it and am so glad I did! Basically, they're totally down to be baptized, BUT we were able to discover last night that they need to get married and Amilcar needs to get an official divorce in Guatemala. So they have a few hoops to jump through, but they're so willing and said they would start looking into everything. I'm finally going to have a wedding in my mission. Haha!

So anyways there's the week, pretty crazy all in all but it ended on a super strong note. Elder Mears is a boss and w'e're going to pound that pavement til baptisms spring forth:)

Have a great week everyone!

Love,
Elder Butterfield
e'rytime


No comments:

Post a Comment